Mini Dental Implants: Their Pros and Cons
Mini dental implants are the wave of the future. Nowadays, therefore, these devices have become the topic of interest for most individuals seeking dental treatment, especially the ones going in for lost tooth restoration. To dig deep into the reasons behind its popularity, the pros and cons of their use need to be elucidated.
Firstly, what are mini dental implants?
The basic difference between traditional implants and mini dental implants in Morrisville, NC lies in their size. Since the differs, there lies a difference in durability and some functionalities too. An elaborate discussion on the topic reveals that the traditional implants usually comprise two pieces with a diameter of 3.25 to 5 millimeters whereas mini implants are a one-piece screw, less than 3mm in diameter.
The other basic differences are:
- The traditional ones are inserted into the bone socket of missing teeth with an external screw.
- Mini implants have a ball-shaped end that protrudes from the jaw bone
Hence, mini and traditional implants may serve nearly similar purposes, but their structural differences are quite significant. Quite evidently, mini implants are less expensive than their traditional counterparts. Due to their smaller size, mini implants are also called narrow-diameter implants or small diameter implants.
Both the variants of your dental implant may suit you only depending upon the condition and requirement of your oral health. Each has its own virtues and drawbacks. This article enlists a few of the pros and cons of mini dental implants in Durham NC for your lost tooth!
Pros of using mini dental implants
Embedding those is much easier
As the name itself suggests, mini implants being smaller in size bear lesser surgical complications. The flap surgery (as in case of traditional implants) is not required in this case. Since the traditional ones need to be embedded deeper into the jaw bone, the flap surgery is required to restore the site to its functional form.
A shorter healing time
Since the mini implants do not require surgery a prosthetic tooth can be loaded within hours and also the healing process is much faster. The healing process is completed within days instead of months!
Much lesser Complications
Mini dental implant failures and complications are rare because the technicalities involved in the procedure are much less complex. Dentists and dental experts, over the years, have achieved greater skills and dexterity in administering mini implants to their patients.
For obvious reasons, mini implants are much less costly than the standard ones. This alone makes them a preferred choice among implant candidates. If in case your insurance provider does not give good coverage for implants, the mini version would be an appropriate choice.
Besides these, there are a number of reasons to count upon, that makes you go for the mini implants:
- No bone grafts needed
- Usually completed in a single dental visit
- Most patients can start eating and chewing from that same afternoon.
- Over-the-counter pain relievers are enough post your implant is done since lesser intervention with the bone and tissue is involved.
The Cons of using mini implants
Cons aren’t many when it comes to opting for mini implants. Nevertheless, certain facts may be stressed upon, like:
- A habitual teeth grinder cannot go for these devices. As their durability is a bit compromised compared to the standard implants, continuous clenching of the teeth may wear them away!
- Patients, who’ve lost a significant amount of jaw bone structure, cannot go for them because these implants rely a lot on your existing jaw bone condition.
- Mini implants mainly provide a short-term solution. This is because their conventional counterparts enable better weight distribution and put less long-term stress on the jaw bone. Also, with the latter’s larger surface area, a stronger chewing force is obtained.
Finally, mini implants are about half the diameter of conventional implants. Two mini ones are thus needed to do the job of a single standard one. This can put slightly more stress on the jaw bone and demand a longer healing time, because of the difference in weight distribution!
Not all tooth loss issues can be restored with a mini implant. In order to arrive at a decision, a thorough examination of the oral condition is utmost necessary. Hence, the decision to go with mini implants or the traditional ones does not really rest upon the candidate completely!